Everyone knows the hard work of a new year begins on January 2nd to accommodate for adequate "recovery" on January 1st. After a brief but lovely holiday break we hit the ground running with Emma rehearsals and a semi-annual company re(fun)treat this weekend. But all play and no work would make us...sad; so in the spirit of the new year we've got big plans and glorious ideas for self improvement.
1) Finish school - I've been pursing a certificate in Film Scoring at UCLA and hope to finish by October. Watch out, John Williams. Watch. Out.
2) Start a band - please please someone finally make a band with me? I won't stop asking this year until I get some yeses. We can rule the world! Or at least a mini audio recorder.
3) Go to Europe - including a stop to visit the lovely Amber Davis in Switzerland! I can't think of a more beautiful sight on the whole continent.
In 2013, I solemnly swear I shall:
My goals for 2013 include smiling more, complaining less, and being more assertive. Bring it, 2013!
-In a totally random conversation a couple days ago, a friend of mine told me that it's alright to figure out how to do something, but figuring out how to communicate how you did it to others is where it's at. I want to go to there.
-That stuff I said last year about figuring out how to be a better collaborator, balancing exchange and control? Yeah, still working on that.
-Paint the new house. Seriously, get some color going this winter.
1. Actually buy groceries and rekindle my love of food/cooking/baking.
2. Set aside time in my busy schedule for art -- writing, painting, music making.
3. Be more generally loving and curious with people... instead of making assumptions or judgements.
1. Drink more water. I think the foundation of most healthy choices in life start here. I gotta drink more agua.
2. Figure out this whole parenting thing. I seem to have neglected to buy the manual for this model. I'm slowly catching on, but the kid's so wily...
3. Make sure that EMMA AND HARRIET is wildly successful (with this cast and production team in place, it shouldn't be difficult).
Keep organized notes. Buy a file cabinet. Sleep more. Worry less. Drink more green tea. Send more letters. Do the splits without pulling anything. Learn some magic tricks.
Speak better German, take more photos, play more ukulele, see more theatre, do more theatre.
1. Read more (not counting Perez Hilton)
2. Be less snappy when I'm cranky.
3. Deep clean my house more often (i.e. not just when my mom comes to town)
1) Exercise more. I've never been particularly good at this. I made some progress in 2012. I hope to make a lot more in 2013.
2) Focus more. I like to explore interesting ideas and I'm curious about people. That's really my main connection to writing and art-making/-experiencing in general. But sometimes I tend to be a bit flighty. I have so many story ideas that I don't stick with or fully develop. I'd like to be a bit more disciplined about this in 2013.
3) Better posture. The computer hunch is becoming more and more permanent. This needs to stop.